WASHINGTON, D.C. — September 28, 2022 — The Community Gyms Coalition (CGC), representing more than 15,000 community gyms and fitness facilities across the U.S. that serve over 25 million members, today announced its Fitness is Essential commitments to the White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition and Health.
A first-of-its-kind collaboration of well-known fitness brands, the CGC has offered the following commitments to provide education, access and support for all Americans by 2030 to improve nutrition, and promote physical activity.
The CGC commitments are under three key pillars – Education, Access and Support. The individual brand commitments may vary but the collective efforts will further raise awareness that fitness is a key component of the healthcare delivery system and promote that fitness is essential to our physical and mental well-being.
- Collaborate with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to launch a nationwide campaign that builds on HHS’ “Move Your Way” program, ensuring that all Americans know that Fitness is Essential for both physical and mental well-being.
- Host satellite event workouts concurrent with the Conference for virtual participants to take part in to encourage physical activity;
- Develop signage and online resources for community gyms to reach their members and community, containing key data points emphasizing the benefits to improving nutrition and supporting physical activity for all; and
- Extend an innovative course on nutrition to at least 6,000 member locations across the country.
- Encourage community gyms to offer a free day pass and/or consultation about fitness goals and objectives to any individual in the community.
- Encourage community gyms to offer and administer 1 million free consultations by 2025 to improve participants’ body intelligence and provide a baseline understanding of their health and fitness;
- Encourage community gyms to partner with local leaders to host free sessions on improving physical activity within their communities, accessible to all.
- Offer free access to apps empowering Americans to track their nutrition and physical activity and make healthier choices;
- Train 10,000 new nutrition coaches by 2025, and 20,000 by 2030, to emphasize the connection between proper nutrition, physical activity and overall health, and provide appropriate support to our communities.
Comprising well-known brands including Anytime Fitness, CrossFit, Orangetheory Fitness and Planet Fitness, the CGC recognizes that proper nutrition and physical activity are connected and, when combined, can improve public health. Data shows that during the COVID pandemic, physical activity diminished and negative public health outcomes rose. The CGC invites all gyms across the country to join these commitments to address this crisis by integrating nutrition and health, and supporting physical activity for all. It’s time for all Americans to recognize that Fitness is Essential.